St. Polycarp of Smyrna (Asia), Greek Apostolic Father and Bishop, c. 80 - 167 A.D.,

Second Letter to the Philippians:
S. Polycarpus, engraving
by Michael Burghers, ca 1685

[3, 1] These things, brethren, concerning righteousness, I write to you not at my own instance, but because you first invited me.  For neither can I nor anyone like me match the wisdom of the blessed and glorious Paul. When he was among you, face to face with the men of that time, he expounded the word of truth accurately and authoritatively; and when he was absent he wrote letters to you, the study of which will enable you to build yourself up in the faith which was given you:  a faith which is the mother of us all, when hope follows along and the love of God and Christ and neighbor goes before. If anyone be devoted to these, he has fulfilled the commandment of justice: for whoever has love is far from every sin.